Dyslexia is a developmental learning disability, commonly identified with having difficulty recognizing and making sense of words and sentences. Dyslexia is a lifelong disability, and as a result it is usually discovered at an early age. People often develop frustration, anxiety, low self-esteem, depression and family issues. Kids especially, do not understand their own condition, even with someone explaining it to them. To a child, say that they have dyslexia is like saying that they're not as good as everyone else.
I don't have dyslexia, but as a young child I used to think that I wasn't as good as everyone else. I had a harder time understanding what people tried to teach me. As hard as I tried there were little times where I would succeed, and being as young as I was, my spirits were crushed. I didn't understand that I could get better if I tried my hardest and put extra time into whatever I was working on. I thought I was stupid and that just giving up would be easier.
There is always a silver lining. It chooses to present itself now, later or has someone come looking for it, it's there. When I grew to be a little older, I realized that I cannot just give up because something is hard for me. I learned that if I tried and tried, I would eventually reach my goal. For people with dyslexia, it could be immensely harder, but the outcome is worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment